Having a security champion within a team is of paramount importance to ensure the overall security posture of an organization. This individual is typically someone with an in-depth knowledge of security risks and best practices and who is deeply committed to promoting security, both within their team and across the entire organization. With a security champion in your corner, you can sleep better at night, knowing that your team is equipped to handle anything that comes their way. Plus, they're just cool to have around - they always have the latest security tips and tricks and can teach you some pretty nifty stuff.
Let's find out how you can get a security champion to take charge of ensuring that security is well-integrated within your SDLC.
Table of Contents
1. Why do you need a Security Champion on your team
2. Support your Security Champions with AppSecEngineer
3. 3 Courses to kickstart with for aspiring Security Champions
4. Train for Full Stack like never before
Why do you need a Security Champion on your team
Having a security champion on a team is a vital component for success in today's ever-evolving threat landscape. We listed some benefits of having a security champion in your organization, let's check them out!
- Expert Security Knowledge - A skilled security champion has an in-depth understanding of the latest security risks, threats, and best practices. Having one on your team ensures that your organization is properly equipped against data threats and vulnerabilities.
- Ongoing Security Education and Training - Security champions will keep your team up-to-date with the latest security protocols and techniques, providing regular training and education to ensure that everyone is aware of the latest threats and how to mitigate them.
- Proactive Vulnerability Identification and Mitigation - With their deep understanding of security risks and vulnerabilities, security champions will proactively identify and address vulnerabilities before they can be exploited by attackers, helping to prevent costly breaches and downtime.
- Security Incident Response - In the event of a security incident, a security champion will be a key member of the incident response team, providing expert guidance and support to help quickly resolve the issue and minimize damage.
Support your Security Champions with AppSecEngineer
Most security training is unsuccessful because it’s usually one size fits all. AppSecEngineer offers a comprehensive Security Champions training program that equips individuals with the knowledge, skills, and tools required to act as security champions within their organizations. The training program covers various topics, including secure coding practices, threat modeling, vulnerability management, and risk assessment. Here are some features that make AppSecEngineer's Security Champions training program a good option:
- Customizable Training - AppSecEngineer's customizable training program aims to meet the specific needs of your organization and to align with your security policies, objectives, and compliance requirements.
- Interactive Learning - AppSecEngineer believes that an interactive learning experience will keep learners engaged and help them retain knowledge better. We use learning strategies, such as hands-on labs based on real-world scenarios that learners are likely to encounter in their workplace.
- Experienced Trainers - The trainers at AppSecEngineer have years of experience in the security industry and are well-versed in the latest security practices and trends. We've taught at the world's biggest conferences, including Black Hat, DEFCON & OWASP.
- Practical Approach - Our training program emphasizes practical skills and real-world scenarios, enabling learners to apply what they have learned once they are already deployed in their workplace.
3 Courses for aspiring Security Champions
To become a security champion, you have to start somewhere. AppSecEngineer, with our wide array of training resources, will empower you by preparing you to face real-world security scenarios. Here are 3 courses for you to try to jumpstart your Security Champion journey:
- Nuclei Automation for DevSecOps - AppSecEngineer knows the importance of having a comprehensive arsenal of security tools for security champions. As one of the most straightforward and easy-to-use vulnerability scanners, Nuclei takes security testing to a whole another level. It's something that you want under your belt. But what makes this course stand out is the story-driven learning method that will help learners retain more knowledge and expose them to real-world scenarios.
- Introduction to AWS IAM - AWS IAM is a tool that empowers you to regulate who can access your AWS resources, providing a stable foundation for security and compliance. AppSecEngineer’s Introduction to AWS IAM provides a hands-on understanding of the principles of Amazon IAM. This course is designed through years of experience to deliver a real-world understanding of access management in AWS.
- Attacking and Defending Containers - Learning how to attack and defend containers is critical in today's rapidly evolving cloud landscape, as it allows you to build and deploy secure and resilient containerized applications with confidence. This course adds a lot of value to anyone aspiring to be a Security Champion. From Docker commands to Container Security Engineering, you’ll get the most comprehensive knowledge of both attacking and defending containers.
Are you looking for more than just the basics? Visit our website to check which course or learning path fits your needs!
Train for Full Stack like never before
Are you a security champion looking for a full-stack training partner to help you develop the skills you need to build and deploy secure applications? Look no further than AppSecEngineer!
Our comprehensive training programs are designed specifically for security champions like you, with a focus on practical, hands-on training to help you acquire the skills you need to succeed as an application security engineer. From coding best practices to vulnerability assessment and remediation, our 50+ courses cover everything you need to know to build secure applications from the ground up.